10.10.08

Tragic girls.

Yesterday I had a conversation with two women's studies professors about being obsessed with certain female-fronted images. "Oh yes," one said, "we all do it".

One of my favorites is the girl on the edge of being a woman, being done up in her ladywear and being torn down from the inside out.

I'm always thinking about how to show vulnerability or how to hide it, so watching the meticulously put together, calculated person freak out is an easy way to illustrate that action.

Oh GEEZ. I wish I could explain the pleasure I take in this. My friend Stephanie has dubbed this idea "Tragic Girls" (ie Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, etc.), but I like to cuddle up to the hope that these females end up learning something later to make them more compassionate people.



From Jennifer Emerling's recently posted series on Derby Girls. PERFECT.



From the 1999 movie Jawbreaker. Rose McGowen does this so well. Every line she utters is the purest, honey-coated evil. It's worth watching the whole movie if you haven't already (for shame!), but the true nugget of gold takes place during the last scene, while Frank Sinatra croons.

Of course, I'm a sucker for the classic Pygmalion storyline. Do I even have to write that? I don't care about gore or love in my movies--both seem a little gauche. But give me a makeover scene and mascara tear-tracts, and I'm there.

Are you taken with certain female-fronted images? Is there work you know about that communicates it? Please, share with me! I love conversations about these ideas and want to learn all I can.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I took that picture specifically to match the one of Rose McGowen, didn't you know?