6.9.11

Lady Party with Yvonne Vallejo of Tits and Giggles

yj1

!!! I've moved this site.  Check out my new version of this page here !!!  

Yvonne Vallejo's been in the blogging game for a long time--she's a pro at having just the right touch when it comes to things that are, well, "touchy". Yvonne runs the guffaw-inducing blog, "Tits and Giggles", which is a sex-positive space for her to share her experiences and help others.

I've known Yvonne a long time--perhaps longer than most of my friends--and I knew she'd be a thoughtful and articulate person to bring into the "Lady Party" fold. Here, she talks about her good friend, Johanna, and how she's influenced her.

What is the name of your lady?
Johanna Tanori.

How did she come into your life? At what age? What was the situation?
It was probably sophomore year of high school when I met her…but we really became good friends our senior year when we had Science and Government classes together. We both only needed one more semester of Science for our graduation requirement and somehow we were both put in a general science class for juniors. Naturally, being the only two seniors and loosely acquainted we sat next to each other and behind two junior boys. Every day before class Jo and I would go down the hall to buy candy which we would eat while writing notes in our science journals to each other, and making the boys do the hard work. Our Government/Economics class was the other class we had together, first thing in the morning. We would talk to our teacher about Rage Against The Machine, and voice our opinions against the talkative asshole jock in class. These classes pretty much sparked our friendship: we went off campus to lunch together, ditched often together, smoked weed, and did all kinds of other typical fuck-it-all I’m a senior stuff. After our graduation ceremony we went to get our diplomas together and our Government teacher told us we were the two coolest girls in the class of 2001. Adorable.

Were there challenging events in your life that you were struggling with, that she helped you to understand or clarified for you? How did she do this?
High school is everyone’s time to struggle with who they really are and we just generally beat ourselves up over becoming who we truly are. She always seemed so comfortable with who she was and confident; and I wanted to be that way too! We also really clicked because our humor was so similar and she was the first person who I could really laugh with.

Did you know right away that she would have an impact?
I didn’t…but after we bonded I definitely knew that we would be lifelong friends.

What was the characteristic that drew you to her?
Her personality and sense of humor were definitely the characteristics that drew me in; I loved that we had the same extremely caustic sense of humor and that we both liked to mock the people around us.

Did you two become friends or was distance imperative to her influence on you?
We definitely became friends very quickly. It was like we gravitated toward each other because we were so alike…but completely different at the same time—opposites attract.

How did your relationship evolve?
We became very close friends, she spent so much time at my house that my Mom began stocking her favorite juice in our fridge. I felt like I finally had the sister I’d always wanted.

Where is she now? What is she doing?
She is in San Francisco now, freshly graduated from Parsons.

In what ways, specifically, did she influence or guide you?
I, specifically learned how to not really give a fuck about what other people thought from her. Johanna has always done whatever SHE wanted to do. If she wanted to cut her hair a certain way or wear a funky thrift store dress…she DID and she just owns whatever she does. Growing up, I just did not have that kind of confidence at all, so having a friend that did definitely pushed me to have the confidence I do now.


Was there ever a point that the relationship soured? Was it ever repaired, and if so, how?
There definitely was a breakup! It was over something so stupid and we didn’t talk for almost 2 years. Those 2 years were absofuckinglutely awful! When we finally repaired our friendship it was awkward: I was working at a cosmetics counter in Macy’s and she got a holiday job as a fragrance model, so we were directly across from each other. She made the first move and came up to say hi, we sussed things out and in a matter of hours things were back to normal like we NEVER had a stupid fight.

How did you actively try to be like her?
Again, I tried to emulate her confidence. My other friends were always meek little “I need to do 100 crunches so I get flat abs” girls…Jo just always rocks whatever, whenever, however and somehow manages to make it look fierce.

Where you ever repulsed by her, and what triggered that feeling? How long did it last?
I was never repulsed by her. I think I was disappointed for awhile because she took someone else’s word and without hearing the other side of the story.

Is she still in your life, and in what capacity?
She is still in my life, and I hope she will always be in my life. We are still very close, even though she is in SF thanks to technology. Twitter, Facebook, texting, Skype…all are fabulous tools to maintain a long distance friendship.

****

Thanks, Yvonne!

If you'd like to be interviewed for Lady Party, email me at aurora.armijo@gmail.com. I love you!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love the lesson in confidence! It's so true that you can look amazing without needing to have the perfect body. I am still learning that myself on a daily basis!

Ben said...

I happen to like my perfect body...especially in a nice suit!